What to Do (and What Not to Do) in a Kitchen Fire
Statistics reveal the extreme importance of home fire safety: Every year, thousands of Ohio homes go up in flames. Tragically, around a hundred Ohioans die in those fires every year.
Some fires are caused by acts of arson, defective electrical wiring, or the results of other problems that are difficult to control. However, according to the National Fire Protection Association, more than 40% of home fires are started in the kitchen. In most cases, cooking fires can be prevented by taking just a few precautions.
Fire prevention tips
Preventing a kitchen fire is often as simple as following a few basic rules of cooking safety. Here are some of the things you should remember as you work in your kitchen:
- Make sure that there is a smoke detector somewhere in the vicinity of the kitchen. This may be your first warning that a fire is about to ignite.
- Don’t wear loose or baggy clothing as you work over heating sources. The clothing can accidentally touch a hot surface and potentially catch fire.
- Never leave the kitchen unsupervised if something is cooking on the stove. Cooking that uses grease or oil are prone to ignite into flames without warning. If you spot any smoke, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stovetop.
If a fire has started, here is what you should do:
- If it’s a stove top grease fire, do NOT throw water on the flames. This will only cause the burning grease to explode out of the pan and the flames to spread.
- For grease fires, safely slide a tight-fitting lid over the pot, and then turn off the heat. This will smother and extinguish the flames. Baking soda can also be used to extinguish the flames.
- For fires involving microwaves or ovens, close the door and turn off the power. If the fire doesn’t go out, call the fire department. Before you use the appliance again, you’ll want to have it fully inspected and repaired.
- If you are unable to put the fire out on your own, leave the house and call the fire department.
When you know what to do in the event of a fire, you’ll be able to help keep the flames from spreading and doing major damage to your home. If your home has already been affected by fire, call the Cincinnati fire damage cleanup specialists!